HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE EXERCISE SCIENCE MAJOR?
Applicants who satisfy freshman or transfer requirements for admission to the University are eligible for admission to the Pre-Exercise Science major.
Students who wish to apply for the Exercise Science major are initially classified as Pre-Exercise Science majors until they meet the following requirements:
IF YOU WISH TO DECLARE THE PRE-EXERCISE SCIENCE MAJOR, CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT AND REGISTER FOR A CHANGE OF MAJOR ORIENTATION.
When should I apply to the Exercise Science degree program?
Students should apply to the major DURING the semester in which they are completing the last of the pre-requisites listed above.
Admission to the Exercise Science major is becoming increasingly competitive. Meeting the minimum eligilitity criteria does not guaranteee admission.
How do I apply?
Step 1 - Complete the required Exercise Science Change of Major Orientation by watching the video and taking the quiz located HERE.
Step 2 - Submit your application before the posted deadline. The online application can be accessed here: EXERCISE SCIENCE PROGRAM APPLICATION
Step 3 - Wait for admissions decisions to be released, via email, after final grades have posted.
CURRENT APPLICATION CYCLE
Summer session 1 application due: before 11:59pm on June 27, 2022
Application review begins: July 5, 2022
Summer session 2 application due: before 11:59pm on August 8, 2022
Application review begins: August 15, 2022
Requirements for Admission to Upper Division Exercise Science Major
The Exercise Science Program has a selective admissions process. Admission decisions are made by the Admissions Committee. Applicants must meet the following minimum academic requirements as well as submit the online Exercise Science Major application.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better in all college course work at UNCC
- Completion of 36 hours of coursework
- Successful completion of the following courses with a "C" or better at the time of application. Please note that applicants who are enrolled in required classes at the time of application may still apply, but admission will be contingent upon successful completion of those classes.
- Anatomy and Physiology I (KNES 2168, 2168L) or BIOL 2273, 2273L
- Anatomy and Physiology II (KNES 2169, 2169L) or BIOL 2274, 2274L
- Chemistry 1251, 1251L (or CHEM 1203, 1203L)
- College Algebra (MATH 1100)
- Statistics (STAT 1222)
- Introduction to Exercise Science (KNES 2150)
- Foundations of Physical Conditioning (KNES 2101)
- Submission of the online Exercise Science Major Application on or before posted deadline.
The Exercise Science program considers application for admission without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability.
Recommended Pre-Exercise Science Sequence
1st semester (14-16 hours)
KNES 2168 - Anatomy & Physiology for the Health Professions (3 credits)
KNES 2168L - Anatomy & Physiology for the Health Profession Lab (1 credit)
MATH 1100 - College Algebra and Probability (3 credits)
HAHS 1000 - Prospect for Success (1 or 3 credits)
LBST 1101, 1102, 1103, 1004, or 1105 (3 credits) - Arts and Society
2nd semester (16-17 hours)
KNES 2150 - Introduction to Exercise Science (3 credits)
KNES 2169- Anatomy & Physiology for the Health Professions II (3 credits)
KNES 2169L- Anatomy & Physiology for the Health Profession II Lab (1 credit)
CHEM 1200 - Fundamentals of Chemistry (3 credits)
UWRT - Writing and Inquiry Academic Context (3 or 4 credits)
KNES 2101 - Foundations of Physical Conditioning (3 credits)
3rd semester (16 hours)
CHEM 1251 - General Chemistry I (3 credits)
CHEM 1251L- General Chemistry Lab (1 credit)
LBST 2101 - Western Tradition (3 credits)
LBST 2301 - Critical Thinking (3 credits)
STAT 1222 - Introduction to Statistics (3 credits) Social Sciences Reqs (3 credits)